Saturday, November 19, 2011

Dachshund Mommy Reviews: Breaking Dawn Pt. 1

Hi Doxies and dogs! It's me, Nola's mommy. Last night I saw Breaking Dawn with ''Sweetie'' and ''Sugar''. I liked somethings, but laughed uncontrollably at others. I'll rate it on a 1-5 star scale on the main aspects of the movie. SPOILER ALERT!!! If you haven't seen Breaking Dawn do not read this. Oh and before I review, let me say I am SHOCKED this movie wasn't R rated.

True to Book-ness: 3 out of 5 stars. It deviated quite a bit on some of the more important aspects, such as Bella's shock in the book about finding out she's pregnant. She wasn't shocked at all in the movie. Disappointing.

Acting: 2 out of 5 stars. For most of the movie, I was snorting with laughter over the either ridiculously overdramatic or the bone dry I swear the were reading the scripts as they spoke acting. So the serious scenes were completely over the top, and the ''funny'' scenes were preformed bland and boring.

Soundtrack and soundtrack placement: 3 out of 5. Two of the soundtrack songs, A Thousand Years- Christina Perri and It Will Rain- Bruno Mars, I LOVED. And was extremely disappointed that Perri's song was not in the movie, and only instrumental from It Will Rain was played. The rest of the songs seemed flat and dull. And most of the score and Flightless Bird- Iron and Wine, was recycled from Twilight. The soundtrack was played mostly where it wasn't needed, and only score where an actual song needed to be.

Makeup and costumes: 4 out of 5. Carlisle, Jasper, Alice, and Esme all look very different in each movie, odd considering vampires don't change. At all. Rosalie looked...bad. I won't go any further on that, but I don't think the actress who plays her was well cast. Edward, Bella and Jacob looked very good, and pretty consistent from the first 3 movies. Bella's makeup for the pregnancy was spot on, she looked dead.

Pregnancy, birth, and baby: 5 out of 5 stars. She looked exactly as she was described in the book, like a corpse. Very good job there. The pregnancy was very convincing, Kristen Stewart did a very good job on that part of the movie. The only part I didn't like was her zero shock reaction to finding out she's pregnant. The birth was very graphic, and a bit nauseating, but well done. The baby was kind of creepy. And the name, poor poor kid.

Flow: 1 out of 5 stars. If you've only seen the other 3 movies, it's next to impossible to follow. From dreams, to flashbacks, to hallucinations, to warped camera views, it's very confusing.

Imprinting: 0 out of 5 stars. Let's face it. That scene was gross and disturbing.

So overall, if you're not a Die-hard Twi-hard, you probably won't enjoy this movie. I used to be one, so I liked it. Some scenes were truly touching. What did you guys think of this movie?

4 comments:

  1. I never read the books and am not into following the movies. However, I did see the first one because I figured I must to keep up with pop culture. Also, I lived not too far from Forks and have been there several times :) It wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be but ff this one wasn't as good then I probably would not be into it at all.

    I have younger cousins that range from interested to obsessed. I don't think any of them went to see the premier but we were talking about it at a family dinner tonight. The consensus was everyone had heard it wasn't very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first three books all in one week, that was years ago before the first movie came out. My roommate & I waited anxiously for the last book & while I got through it in 2 days I was overall disappointed with it. I didn't care for the flashing back & forth between naratives & then in the last part I got really excited about all the new cool vampires we were meeting & couldn't wait to see all the cool new powers & a kick ass fight. And then... nothing. No fight, no cool powers revealed, no climax to the end of the book. So all in all, loved books 1-3 then was dissappointed.

    As far as the movies go, I've been horrified since movie one. The acting has got to be the worst on the planet!! And that is NOT Edward, the only person cast that I actually liked was the guy who plays Charlie. I think that Kristen Stewart plays Bella to a T, but everything the characters do (all of them) is sooo overdramatized. I was so disappointed, I guess that there are certain things that don't translate from page to screen. It's a shame, with all the money they've made off these movies you'd think they could have put some effort into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although, that is where my baby got his name from:) Jasper was one of my favorite characters in the books (along w/ Emmitt) so that's how my Jasper got his name:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woof! Woof! Just saying Golden Hello. My mom likes the Twilight series/movies so we did not read the rest of your post. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!